Feb 7, 2011

My Life as a Beginner

Today began like any other day.  I woke up to the soft sound of unending rain, went to school for a breezy day of classes, and was about to catch a bus home when I was stopped by an invitation from a girlfriend for a mid-day glass of wine.  Inspired by my friend's new enthusiasm for blogging (check out her blog at gastronomicalsovereignty.blogspot.com), and a cheap glass of Red, I decided that today would be the day I started my blog.
I have thought about blogging in the past, but somehow it always ended up at the bottom of a never-ending to-do list.  Today was different. 
I have decided to approach this blog as a beginner.  One of my teachers once told me to live each day with a beginner's mind:  Leave behind what you think you already know about what you are about to do, say, learn.  As a beginner, everything becomes an adventure.  An experiment.  A new experience. 


My first project for "Beginner at Heart" is to share and chart the adventures of a new tradition.  Feeling trapped by the vast amounts of rain that seem to never end on the West Coast, my partner, Scott, and I decided that no amount of water would stop us from getting outside.  On a rainy Sunday afternoon we borrowed a car from my very generous folks, and drove to the nearest forest to go wandering. It was so refreshing we decided to proclaim it as a new tradition.  Come hell or highwater, we would go hiking every Sunday, extending the invitation to our friends or sometimes keeping it just for us.  Check out 'Sunday Hikes" for pictures and trails from our west coast adventures!


Love Much!


Whit

1 comment:

  1. You're so friggin cool - I love this :) It's beautiful just like you.

    ReplyDelete